Saturday, August 06, 2011

The Next Crooked Furrow

Hello! David J here again bringing you more of the steps on my journey toward financial independence.

Well! We went another more than a month without a new post. I've been busy and there's good news coming!

First, let me thank those who expressed support while I was recovering from the changes that went down this past Spring. Your warm wishes meant a lot.

Secondly, I'm still plying my IT trade and shopping the job market while working toward my financial independence goals. Working on a new job that's more in-line with the bulk of my experience. Looking good, but I don't have the offer yet. Wish me luck!

Third, I have some REALLY great news on the financial independence front.

I've connected with a local group of investors. I was going to make that a longer sentence, but thought better of it because it contains an important point: I've connected with a LOCAL group ...

The key word there is "local". That means I can visit them, attend their gatherings, sit and take notes as often as they hold their events. That's SO much better than buying something off the web and trying to figure it out without some active support. It means so much to have the group to whom I can turn with my questions because SOME one is there who has some kind of answer. There's typically more than one answer to questions not involving legal issues, and even that is not 100% certain.

That said, there is something connected with this group which is strongly in keeping with the principles I set forth when I started this blog: at least SOME level of support for those whose financial means are stretched well past the breaking point.

While this group does do marketing for a real estate "university", they do something that NONE of the other marketers in this space can even pretend to do - and many of them do "pretend": the school offers financing! ...and down payments as low as 20%!

Unfortunately, even this outfit and their marketers do not have what the true "no cash, no credit" people (like me) need, BUT: they do have a way to generate income that can pay for the classes they offer. By being an affiliate marketer you can earn commissions that can pay for the classes you might want to take from the school. The affiliate licensing fee is $125 a year.

Also, the class material is all self-paced and on-line. You can study at your own speed in your own home office or anywhere you have internet connectivity.

In my next post, I'll do something that might be considered unthinkable by some: I'll post a link to my "squeeze page" where you can be introduced to this group and the school they represent. If you want to know more, you'll have to tune in again in a couple of weeks to get the rest of the story.

In the mean time, ask yourself this question: if you had people with private money looking to you for an opportunity to get better-than-bank returns on their retirement accounts and other investments, how easy would it be to turn some real estate deals and make some income?

Now, what does this have to do with "crooked furrows"? Well, if you read my earlier posts, you may remember that one of my adopted mentors holds that he'd rather see a crooked furrow than a field unplowed. I'm cutting another crooked furrow in relation to my latest venture thanx to the US Postal Service.

USPS has introduced a new service called "Every Door Direct Mail", or "EDDM". EDDM provides delivery to every mailbox on a carrier route within any zip code. It's not targetted at all - there's no provision for mailing lists or special permits, it's just base rate per piece. You need a minimum of 200 pieces in a mailing, which means you may need to start with two or more carrier routes to go over the top of 200.

Here's the USPS link for more information:
https://www.usps.com/business/every-door-direct-mail.htm

I showed my first draft mailpiece to some group members. One of them suggested I need some attention-grabbing graphics. Right now, it's all text, like a sales letter. I'm not a graphic artist. I don't know from graphics. So, I'm considering my first attempt at a direct mail piece to be a "crooked furrow".

Tune in again in a week or two and I'll have more for you!

We'll talk again soon!

Take care - be well!

Much Success!

No comments: